Straubing Tigers vs. Adler Mannheim 1:4 (0:1, 0:1, 1:2)


Special Teams and a Strong Dennis Endras Win it for the Adler

The Straubing Tigers had the best power-play in the league but despite having twice as many man-advantage situations as the Adler they were unable to score on special teams. On the other end of the ice Mannheim’s special teams was not having the same problem. Mannheim was on the penalty kill eight times, none of which resulted in a goal for Straubing but the Adler did manage to score a short-hander during the same time period. Four times the Adler found themselves with at least a one man-advantage and were able to convert twice in addition to scoring an empty-netter at the end of the game. Christopher Ullmann, Jon Rheault, Ryan MacMurchy, and Ronny Arendt had goals for Mannheim. Straubing’s loan goal was scored by Tobias Woerle.

The 4,602 fans in the Straubinger Pulverturm saw an overly motivated team from Mannheim. The Adler cashiered 14 penalty minutes alone in the First Period compared to the Tigers 4. Despite playing most of the Period short one or two players the Adler drew first blood on a power-play goal from Christoph Ullmann, 0:1 (18 minute, man-advantage). Thanks to a compact defense and a strong Dennis Endras Straubing remained scoreless in the First.

The Second started with Mannheim’s Jamie Tardif sitting out the remainder of a two minute minor for slashing. Following a blocked shot from Straubing during their man-advantage situation, Jon Rheault picked up the puck and had a breakaway beating Straubing’s Goalie Matthew Climie to score a short-hander for Mannheim, 0:2 (22 minute, short-handed).Both Mannheim and Straubing created good chances on goal in the remainder of the Second but both Goalies were able to hold resulting in the Adler taking a two to nothing lead into the Second Break.

The Tigers mobilized everything they had in the Third trying to even the score. In the 47 minute with Straubing’s Sean O’Connor receiving a five minute major plus a Game Misconduct for boarding and a two minute minor for roughing, Straubing’s Dylan Yeo got sent to the box for delay of game giving Mannheim a double-power-play. Ryan MacMurchy did not let the chance pass him by as he scored to give the Adler a three point lead, 0:3 (48 minute, two-man-advantage). Three minutes later Tobias Woerle put Straubing on the board, 1:3 (51 minute). The Adler did not let the Tigers goal throw them off of their rhythm as they continued on the attack. A short time later what appeared to be a Mannheim goal was disallowed by the referees after viewing the instant replay. With just under two minutes to play Straubing’s Trainer, Larry Mitchell pulled Climie for a sixth attacker and with 26 seconds remaining Ronny Arendt put the puck in the empty net (60 minute, empty-net)to give Mannheim a 4:1 victory over the Tigers. The Three Stars of the Game were all from Mannheim. First Star was Dennis Endras, Second Star Jon Rheault, and Third Star Sinan Akdag.

The Adler return home to the SAP Arena on Sunday, 18 October to host the Hamburg Freezers. The puck is scheduled to drop at 17:45.

Krefeld Pinguine vs. Adler Mannheim 5:3 (3:0, 0:1, 2:2)


Unnecessary 3:5 Loss in Krefeld

The Adler cashiered an unnecessary loss in Krefeld on Sunday evening. At the end of the First Period the Adler were already at a 3:0 deficit on goals from Martin Schymainski, Herberts Vaslijevs, and Thomas Supis. Christopher Ullmann, Jon Rheault and Lennart Palausch scored for the Adler. The remaining Krefeld goals were scored by Istvan Sofron and Martin Schymainski.

The 3,641 fans in Krefeld saw their team take an early lead against the Adler Mannheim, with just 59 seconds played Martin Schymainski scored to draw first blood of the Pinguine, 1:0 (1 minute). The early goal gave the Pinguine life and stripped all momentum away from the Adler. Mannheim had few chances on goal and were not even able to create momentum while on the power-play. Krefeld was rewarded for their continued pressure on the Adler goal with goals by Herberts Vaslijevs, 2:0 (16 minute) and Thomas Supis, 3:0 (17 minute).

The Adler came out stronger in the Second and started to create their own chances on goal. Christopher Ullmann finally put the Adler on the board midway through the Period, 3:1 (30 minute). The Adler had several other good chances on goal but remained unable to convert.

The Pinguine added to their lead early in the Third with a goal from Istvan Sofron, 4:1 (45 minute). Mannheim threw everything they had at the Krefeld goal and were rewarded with a power-play goal from Jon Rheault, 4:2 (59 minute, man-advantage) but it was too little too late, Martin Schymainski scored his second of the evening when he hit the empty Adler net, 5:2 (60 minute, empty-net). Lennart Palausch scored his first ever DEL goal, 5:3 (60 minute) to give the final score a slight cosmetic change. The Three Stars of the Game were all from Krefeld. First Star was Patrick Klein, Second Star Daniel Pietta, and Third Star Istvan Sofron.

The Adler remain on the road this Friday, when they will be in Straubing to face-off against the Straubing Tigers. They return home to the SAP Arena on Sunday, 18 October when they will host the Hamburg Freezers. The puck is scheduled to drop at 19:30.

Adler Mannheim vs. Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg 7:3 (2:1, 3:1, 2:1)


Best Game of the Season for the Adler

The 10,068 fans in the SAP Arena saw the Adler play their best game so far in the young season as they downed the Grizzly Adams by a score of 7:3. Hecht, MacMurchy, Richmond, Akdag, Hospelt, Yip and Buchwieser scored for Mannheim. Sharrow, Furchner, and Haskins scored for Wolfsburg. The Adler played without the injured Raedeke, Kink, Reul, Joudrey and Marcel Goc. Tardif and Buchwieser returned from the injured reserves and Lennart Palausch was brought up from the Kassel Huskies to make his DEL debut.

Both teams came out for the First strong and created multiple good chances on goal. James Sharrow put the Grizzly Adams on the board first, 0:1 (7 minute). The play swayed back and forth with both teams continuing to create chances. Ten minutes after Sharrow’s goal Jochen Hecht picked up a rebound from Felix Brueckmann, in goal for Wolfsburg, and scored to tie the game, 1:1 (17 minute). Just over a minute later Ryan MacMurchy scored to put the Adler out in front, 2:1 (19 minute).

Mannheim scored twice early in the Second. The first goal came as a shot from Danny Richmond was deflected into the goal by a Wolfsburg defenseman, 3:1 (22 minute). The next goal was a power-play goal from Sinan Akdag, 4:1 (25 minute, man-advantage). Wolfsburg remained dangerous with Sebastian Fruchner scoring a power-play goal of his own, 4:2 (33 minute, man-advantage). Just over two minutes later Kai Hospelt restored the Adler’s three point lead, 5:2 (35 minute). Mannheim took the three point lead into the Second Break.

Brandon Yip increased the Adler’s lead early in the Third with a power-play goal, 6:2 (44 minute, man-advantage). Wolfsburg’s Tyler Haskins also scored on the power-play to bring the Grizzly Adams back within three, 6:3 (47 minute, man-advantage). A mere 14 seconds later Martin Buchwieser scored the last goal of the game to bring the final score to 7:3 (48 minute). The Three Stars of the Game were all from Mannheim. First Star was Ryan MacMurchy, Second Star Jamie Tardif, and Third Star Mathieu Carle.

The Adler will be in Krefeld on Sunday, 11 October to face-off against the Pinguine. They will remain on the road Friday, 16 Oct when they will be in Straubing to play the number one ranked Tigers. They will return home to the SAP Arena on Sunday, 18 October when they will host the Hamburg Freezers. The puck is scheduled to drop at 17:45.

Champions Hockey League
Eishockey Förderverein

© Die Adler Mannheim Eishockey Spielbetriebs GmbH & Co. KG | Datenschutzhinweise