European Trophy: Adler Down Ingolstadt 3:2


With a 3:2 (0:0, 1:0, 2:2) victory over the ERC Ingolstadt Panther the Adler Mannheim increase their chances of being able to play in the Red Bull Salute in December in Berlin. Although Jochen Hecht was able to make his debut during the game, the Adler were still plagued with injury problems as Ken Magowan, Kai Hospelt, Martin Buchwieser, and Christopher Fisher were all out with injuries. Hecht was able to promptly add his name to the Adler scorer list with an assist on Marcus Kinks 2:1 goal. The other Mannheim goals were scored by Frank Mauer and Christoph Ullmann.

Following a goalless but interesting First Period, the Second Period was filled with a lot of good chances on goal from both teams. The Adler were slightly better than Ingolstadt in the First but were unable to create any real chances on goal. In the Second Period that changed as the Adler created multiple chances on goal. Frank Mauer with an assist from Yanick Lehoux put Mannheim on the board in the 30 minute, 1:0.

The Panther did not let the Adler goal knock them off of their game as they started to gain more and more initiative as the game progressed but were unable to get passed the Adler defense or Dennis Endras in goal. Barta scored a surprising shorthanded goal early in the Third to tie the game at one, 1:1 (46 minute, Short-Hander) but less than a minute later on the same Power-Play, Marcus Kink restored Mannheim’s one point lead with an assist from Jochen Hecht, 2:1 (46 minute, Man-Advantage). Jon Rheault stole the puck from the Panther in the Adler Offensive Zone and passed to Christoph Ullmann who scored the 3:1 for Mannheim (51 minute). Hambly was able to bring Ingolstadt back to within one in the last 40 seconds of play but that was too late to prevent a Mannheim victory.

Mannheim will play a pre-season game against the Heilbronn Falken on Friday, 30 August in Heilbronn. On Sunday, 1 September the Adler will once again meet the ERC Ingolstadt for a European Trophy home game, which will also be played in Heilbronn.

Adler Also Split Sweden Games


With a 4:1 loss to the Farjestads BK on Friday night and a 2:3 win in Penalties against Frolunda Indians on Sunday afternoon the Adler Mannheim were able to bring their point total to five in the European Trophy Tournament.

On Friday night in a game that was more equal than the final score of 4:1 shows, Farjestads BK was able to rack up four goals before Christoph Ullmann provided an answer from the Adler in the Third Period with a Power-Play goal (51 minute) that brought the game to its 4:1 final score. Farjestads had only one equal strength goal (30 minute) but two, Man-Advantage goals (29 and 49 minutes) and one, Two-Man-Advantage goal (13 minute).
The 2,500 fans on Sunday afternoon witnessed a suspenseful game with no goals in the first two periods of play, followed by two goals apiece for the Frolunda Indians and the Adler Mannheim. The Indians took the lead twice in the Third Period. Frank Mauer tied it in the 43 minute at one all and Steve Wagner tied it at two apiece in the 54 minute. With no further goals scored during the Third Period or during the Overtime Period the game proceeded to Penalty Shots. Felix Brueckmann in goal for the Adler held all shots during the Penalties while Mirko Hoefflin converted one for the Adler to give them a 3:2 win and capture the extra point.
The Adler play again on Wednesday, 28 August in Ingolstadt against the Panthers and they have a pre-season game in Heilbronn on Friday, 30 August against the Falcon. The Adler then have a home game (in Heilbronn) on Sunday, 1 September against the Ingolstadt Panthers.

Adler split European Trophy Opening Games in Switzerland


The Adler Mannheim opened this year’s European Trophy tournament with two games in Switzerland. They started with a 2:5 loss against the ZSC Lions on Friday and rebounded with a 5:2 win against the EV Zug on Saturday.

Mannheim already short three players with injuries, Jochen Hecht, Jon Rheault, and Niki Goc, suffered a further set back when both Ken Magowan and Kai Hospelt were injured during the 2:5 loss against the ZSC Lions. The Adler were down by three at the end of the first period and it was easy to see that the Lions had already played two games in the tournament while the Adler were on their first game of the year. The Adler slowly improved their performance and were more organized in the following two periods but that was not enough for them to be able to turn the game. Marcus Kink put the Adler on the board during a Power-Play in the Second but the Lions quickly restored their three point lead just three minutes later. The Lions scored again in the Third and Mirko Hoefflin scored a Power-Play goal for Mannheim shortly before the end of the game. The final score was a 2:5 loss for Mannheim.

Shaking of the 2:5 loss on Friday the Adler were able to come back with a 5:2 win against the EV Zug on Saturday night. The 2,412 fans in the Bossard Arena witnessed a game full of chances on goal; with a combined shot on goal statistic of almost 60 both teams Goalies had their hands full. Mannheim scored first on a goal from Frank Mauer in the 17 minute but Zug tied the score just over a minute later while shorthanded. Yanick Lehoux put Mannheim back in the lead (20 minute) 2:1. Zug changed Goalies at the start of the Second Period. Matthias Plachta scored in the 25 minute, 3:1 and Zug scored again n the 36 minute to reduce the Adler lead to one goal, 2:3. Mannheim scored two unanswered goals in the Third Period, Matthias Plachta (42 minute) and Mike Vernace (53 minute) bringing the final score to 5:2 for the Adler.

Mannheim continues their play in the European Trophy next weekend with a game on Friday, 23 August against Farjestads BK and a game on Sunday, 25 August against Frolunda Indians.

Champions Hockey League
Eishockey Förderverein

© Die Adler Mannheim Eishockey Spielbetriebs GmbH & Co. KG | Datenschutzhinweise