Straubing Tigers vs. Adler Mannheim 1:2 (1:0, 0:2, 0:0)


Magowan Scores Twice as Adler Win in Straubing 2:1

5,422 fans watched the Adler beat the Tigers 2:1 (0:1, 2:0, 0:0) in the Eishalle am Pulverturm in Straubing. The Adler once again earned three points following three consecutive losses. Meunier scorded for the Tigers in the First Period and Magowan tied the score and shot the game winner in the Second.

It was obvious from the first minute on that after the 1:6 loss in Dusseldorf earlier this week the Adler needed t o make good and earn the three points. The battles for the puck were hard fought and the momentum was high. Mannheim was able to demonstrate their strength early but were unable to create any really clear chances on goal. It was Straubing that ended up drawing first blood as Laurent Meunier scored off a faceoff, 1:0 (10 minute).

Although the goal surprised the Adler they did not let it disrupt them as they continued to play a high tempo game with a compact defense. It took until the Second Period for their efforts to bear fruit. Ken Magowan tied the score when he picked up a rebound and scored, 1:1 (22 minute). Magowan also scored the go-ahead goal for the Adler. While on the Power-Play, Yanick Lehoux took a shot from the blue line that bounced off the skate of a Straubing defender directly to a waiting Ken Magowan who pushed it over the goal line, 2:1 (35 minute, man-advantage).

The Adler had to start the Third Period short-handed and due to cashiering two further consecutive minor penalties remained short-handed for a good part of the start of the Third. This created enormous pressure on the Adler Goal and Goalie, Denis Endras but Endras and the Penalty-Kill held during this critical phase. After the game returned to five-on-five hockey the Adler were once again able to take control of the game but were unable to score again. Wagner went to the box on a delay of game call during the last three minutes of play creating a suspenseful couple of minutes but once again the Penalty-Kill held and Straubing was unable to tie the game. Even pulling their goalie Jason Bacashihua with just over a minute to play was ineffective and the score remained 2:1 for Mannheim at the final horn.

With only five games left to play in the regular season, Mannheim remains in second place and continues to trail Cologne by five points in the DEL Rankings. The Adler return home to the SAP Arena this Sunday, 24 February to host the Iserlohn Roosters the puck is scheduled to drop at 1630.

Düsseldorfer EG vs. Adler Mannheim 6:1 (3:0, 3:1, 0:0)


1:6 Loss in Düsseldorf

Following a devastating 1:6 loss in Düsseldorf, Mannheim fell to five points behind the DEL first ranked team from Cologne. The DEG scored goals at the right time and made no mistakes in their own zone.

These are the types of games that fans from the last place team enjoy watching. They come just prior to the end of the season and serve no real purpose but to earn the three points and disrupt the other teams in the league.

Drew Paris had a lucky shot early in the First to start the goal spree for the DEG, 1:0 (4 minute). The goal came to the delight of the three and a half thousand Düsseldorf fans in the arena. It also gave the DEG new life. Gegen Ridderwall (7 minute) and Bazany (8 minute) both had good chances that were held by Dennis Endras. Zanetti scored a power-play goal for the DEG, increasing the lead to two, (8 minute, man-advantage). That was followed by another power-play goal from Martinsen, 3:0 (18 minute, man-advantage). Ken Magowan and Yannick Lehoux (both 19 minute) had the first good chance on goal for the Adler but were unable to score.

In the Second Period the Adler appeared to take the game more seriously but still lacked the needed aggressiveness and ability to create solid chances on goal. That was not a problem for the DEG as they continued to run up the score with goals from Hofland (31 minute), Bostrom (37 minute), and Zanetti (40 minute). Yannick Lehoux scored the 1:4 for the Adler but any hope of a miracle was short lived as the DEG scored on.

The Third Period remained scoreless, ending with a 6:1 loss for the Adler. Mannheim remains on the road this Friday, 22 February as they travel to Straubing to play the Tigers. They will return home on Sunday, 24 February to face the Iserlohn Roosters. The puck drops at 1630.

Adler Manheim vs. Cologne Haie 3:4 Following Shoot-Out (0:2, 2:0, 1:1, 0:0, 0:1)


Adler Lose to Cologne in Shoot-Out

The Adler lost to the Haie by a score of 3:4 (0:2, 2:0, 1:1, 0:0, 0:1) in a Shoot-Out. They also lost out on the chance to take over the number one ranking in the DEL. Instead Cologne was able to increase their point lead over Mannheim. Magowan and Lehoux scored to tie the game after goals from Tripp and Schuetz. In the Third Period Weiss scored for Cologne and Sifers for Mannheim. Minard scored the game winner during the Shoot-Out.

Five days following the 3:2 Mannheim victory in Cologne the Adler had the chance to retake the number one slot in the DEL rankings. The Adler started out well in the sold out SAP Arena, putting the Cologne goal under constant attack. Danny aus den Birken in goal for the Haie faced MacDonald (1 minute), Arendt (2 minute), El-Sayed, Seidenberg, and Glumac (all 3 minute). Yannick Seidenberg rang one off the post in the fourth minute. On the other end Adler Goalie Dennis Endras had a little luck during Colognes first good chance on goal, a shot from Mirko Luedemann slid between his pads and past the goal. Much to the delight of the 1,100 fans present from Cologne, Haie Captain John Tripp put Cologne on the board during their first power-play of the game, 1:0 (6 minute, man-advantage) and four minutes later with Mannheim once again shorthanded, Felix Schuetz increased the lead to two, 2:0 (10 minute, man-advantage). The two goals knocked the wind out of the Adler’s sails but they were not about to give up. The duels on the boards remained hard. In the 17 minute the post once again rescued the goal for the Haie. Just prior to the end of the First Dennis Endras saved against Cologne’s Nathan Robinson, who had a good chance on goal during a breakaway situation.

The 0:2 did not last long during the Second Period, with just over a half minute played, Ken Magowan scored off of a pass from Christoph Ullmann to put the Adler within one, 1:2 (21 minute). The Adler had three power-plays in a row as Holmqvist, Luedemann, and Kranjc all went to the box but Mannheim was unable to tie the score. In the 32 minute Greg Claassen hit the post of the Adler goal, and a minute later Frank Mauer had a chance on Danny aus den Birken. Yanick Lehoux was finally able to tie the game a couple minutes before the second break, 2:2 (38 minute).

Two minutes into the Third Period Cologne went back into the lead on a shot from Alex Weiss, 3:2 (42 minute). Felix Schuetz had a couple of chances on goal for Cologne and Shawn Belle had a good chance for Mannheim. Mannheim tied the score again on a goal from Jamie Sifers (48 minute). The Adler went back on the power-play two minutes before the final horn but once again were unable to put the puck in the net. The game remained tied at the final horn and through the five minute overtime period. During the resulting Shoot-Out Chris Minard was the only player to put a shot in goal, thus securing the win and the extra point for Cologne.

Mannheim remains in second place in the DEL rankings with 84 points, two points behind Cologne. The Adler will be on the road in Duesseldorf on Tuesday, 19 February. They will remain on the road Friday, 22 February as the travel to Straubing to play the Tigers. Mannheim will return home to the SAP Arena on Sunday, 24 February to host the Iserlohn Roosters. The puck is scheduled to drop at 1630.

Champions Hockey League
Eishockey Förderverein

© Die Adler Mannheim Eishockey Spielbetriebs GmbH & Co. KG | Datenschutzhinweise