Matthias Plachta scored the second goal.

EHC Red Bull Munich vs. Adler Mannheim 1:5 (0:1, 1:2, 0:2)


5:1 – Adler Start New Year with Three Points

With a 5:1 (1:0, 2:1, 2:0) victory in Munich the Adler achieved an optimal start in the New Year. Three Power-Play goals from Mike Glumac, Matthias Plachta, and Craig MacDonald set the foundation for the Adler win. Yannic Seidenberg and Yanick Lehoux scored the additional two goals. The Adler returned to the top of the DEL rankings following their victory.

Both teams started the game with high energy and provided the 5,345 fans in the Munich Arena an exciting and interesting game. There were good chances on goal from both sides and Dennis Endras was able to keep Munich Scoreless in the first, while on the other end Jochen Reimer was unable to stop Jochen Hecht and Mike Glumac on the Power-Play. Hecht had a perfect pass to Glumac who only had to push the puck over the line, 1:0 (13 minute, man-advantage).

The Adler had the better chances in the Second Period. Mannheim was once again able to take advantage of a man more on the ice when Matthias Plachta scored on the Power-Play off a rebound from a shot from Frank Mauer, 2:0 (34 minute, man-advantage). It only took two minutes for Munich to strike back, also on the Power-Play – Mike Glumac was in the box for roughing – Martin Buchwieser put Munich on the board 1:2 (37 minute, man-advantage). Shortly before the break Mannheim returned their two point lead on a goal from Yannic Seidenberg 3:1 (40 minute).

Things got heated at the start of the Third Period when Munich had almost two minutes of a double Power-Play but were unable to take advantage of their two-man-advantage or the following man-advantage situation. The same could not be said about Mannheim who increased their lead on their only Power-Play situation of the Third, when Craig MacDonald gave the Adler a three goal lead, 4:1 (53 minute, man advantage). Yanick Lehoux added a further goal, 5:1 (58 minute) which was also the final score of the game.

The Adler remain on the road in Bavaria on Sunday and will play the Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers at 1630 in Nürnberg.

HC Fribourg-Gotteron vs. Adler Mannheim 5:2 (1:0, 2:1, 2:1)


Adler Knocked Out of the Spengler Cup Following 5:2 Loss to HC Fribourg-Gotteron

Following a 5:2 loss to HC Fribourg-Gotteron in the quarter finals of the Spengler Cup Mannheim was eliminated from the tournament. The injury riddled Adler displayed character and were able to keep the game close up until the middle of the last period. Mauldin, Pluss, Talbot, Dube, and Sprunger scored for HC Fribourg-Gotteron. The two goals for the Adler were scored by Frank Mauer and Matthias Plachta.

Mannheim had to play in the quarter final game, without the injured Marcel Goc against the actual number one ranked team in the Swiss League. The strong team from West Switzerland with their five NHL players ended up being too high a hurdle for the Adler. With only three minutes played Greg Mauldin scored a short-handed, backhander against Felix Brueckmann, 1:0 (3 minute, short-handed). Sprunger (7 minute) and Deshamais (8 minute) both had good chances but Felix Brueckmann held. After about ten minutes the Adler found their way back into the game and had more puck possession but with no real chances on goal. Shortly before the break Joel Kwiatowski was unable to beat Brueckmann on a 3:1 counter attack.

Frank Mauer went to the box for slashing just prior to the end of the First Period putting the Adler short-handed at the start of the Second. Benjamin Pluss took advantage of the situation scoring the 2:0 (22 minute, man-advantage). Mannheim was not ready to give in and both Glumac and Seidenberg had good chances in the 25 minute followed by a chance from Nick Bonino in the 26 minute on a rebound from a shot from Pominville. Four minutes later Mannheim gained procession of the puck in the neutral zone and Yanick Lehoux took a shot on goal that was deflected in by Frank Mauer, 2:1 (30 minute). Maxim Talbot, David Desharnais, and Greg Mauldin continuously disrupted the Adler Defense with their whirl wind attacks. Following a good combination between these three giants Talbot scored the 3:1 (35 minute).

Matthias Plachta provided for a little suspense in the game when he scored the 3:2 (46 minute) but Gotteron increased the tempo of the game and provoked an Adler penalty. Christian Dube scored the 4:2 (50 minute, man-advantage) while Kettemer was in the box for holding. The Adler battled on but were unable to change the tide of the game. Three minutes before the end Julien Sprunger shot the last goal of the game, 5:2 (57 minute).

Following the game Dennis Seidenberg, Dennis Endras, and Jason Pominville were honored as the three best Adler of the tournament.

Mannheim’s next game will be on 4 January 2013 in Munich against the EHC Red Bull.

HC Davos vs. Adler Mannheim 6:2 (0:1, 3:1, 3:0)


Adler Lose Against Davos 2:6

With an early lead through Dennis Seidenberg the Adler had the game under control but in the Second Period HC Davos turned the game around. The Adler had a 2:0 lead which Davos turned in to a 2:6 loss for Mannheim. The Adler play again Saturday at 15:00 against Fribourg-Gotteron for a chance to make it to the semi-finals.

Three minutes into the game Dennis Seidenberg shot the puck at the top corner of the net. The puck hit Goalie Leonardo Genoni and then the post. It rebounded back through the crease at a high arc hitting the Davos keeper on the back of the head before bouncing into the goal, 1:0 (4 minute). The goal gave Mannheim more confidence and created more pressure on the home team Davos, who wanted to make good a 0:5 loss the night before to Team Canada. Except for one scene in the seventh minute as Hofmann and Marha one after the other missed chances on Adler Goalie Dennis Endras, Mannheim’s defense was solid. The Adler continued to try and take advantage of their chances in the offensive zone – Matthias Plachta had the best chance for the Adler in the 12 minute but missed the goal.

In the Second Period Craig MacDonald took the place of the reinjured Marcel Goc (foot injury) in the first line between Jason Pominville and Nick Bonino. Defenseman Florian Kettemer moved to the fourth line as an offensive player. He picked up a rebound from a Mike Glumac shot and put it in goal, 2:0 (24 minute). A minute later Enzo Corvi had too much room and scored off of a pass from Joe Thornton, 1:2 (25 minute). The goal gave Davos more energy. Reto von Arx had a chance in the 25 minute but Endras held but in the 29 minute Dino Wieser scored the tying goal, 2:2 (29 minute, man-advantage). Only three and a half minutes later Wieser scored again, 3:2 (32 minute), the momentum had changed sides.

Right at the start of the Third Period Loui Eriksson, last season’s top scorer for the Dallas Stars, beat Endras, 4:2 (41 minute). Nick Boninos had a good chance in the 47 minute to get Mannheim back in the game but it was Gregory Hofmann who scored giving Davo’s an even larger lead, 5:2 (49 minute). Not even two minutes later Antalo scored for Davos, 6:2 (51 minute) the score remained 6:2 for Davos at the final horn.

The Adler finished last in their group and will have to play Saturday at 1500 against Fribourg-Gotteron for a chance to make it to the semi-finals.

Champions Hockey League
Eishockey Förderverein

© Die Adler Mannheim Eishockey Spielbetriebs GmbH & Co. KG | Datenschutzhinweise