The young Hoefflin played well against Färjestads BK.

Adler Mannheim vs. Faerjestads BK 2:4 (0:1, 0:2, 2:1)


Adler lose to Faerjestads BK 2:4

The 6,458 fans that came to view the first European Trophy game of 2012/13 in the SAP Arena, saw the Adler lose to the Swedish team from Faerjestads 2:4 (0:1, 0:2, 2:1). Adler scorers were Yannic Seidenberg and Matthias Plachta.

The first period was hectic between the Adler and their Swedish guests, who appeared to have the better game plan. The Adler had the best scoring chances as Corey Mapes, Craig MacDonald, and Frank Mauer all had the chance to score the 1:0, but Salak was able to defend all chances. Faerjestads used their chance on the power play in the 19 minute to take the lead.

The second period delivered a similar picture, Faerjestads remained in control and the Adler were no longer fresh enough to cause the Swedish any major problems. Faerjestads scored anew in the 23 and 30 minute building a comfortable lead for the third period. Magowan had the best chance for the Adler on a missed Penalty-Shot.

The Adler attempted to turn the tide in third and avoid another loss but the first goal remained elusive, even though there were chances on the Power-Play. The best chance was from Seidenberg on a super assist from Plachta. On the other hand Faerjestads took advantage of one of their few chances in the 54 minute raising their lead to four. Seidenberg and Plachta both scored for the Adler in the last 30 seconds and shortened the lead at the final horn to 2:4.

Dennis Endras played his first game for Adler Mannheim against HIFK.

Mannheim Splits Opening Games of the European Trophy


The Adler Mannheim split their opening in the European Trophy. They lost their opening game on Friday 17 August, to the Finnish top team HIFK, 0:4 and in a dramatic game the following night won 2:1in penalties against the Finnish team Jokerit.

The Adler started this year’s European Trophy with a 0:4 loss to the Finnish Champions from Helsinki, HIFK. The game in the Vallti Arena started with chances for both teams. The Adler had the better of the chances with Ullman shooting one of the post in the 15 minute. Between the 12 and 17 minute Helsinki had a man in the box on a five minute major for boarding, during the same five minutes they drew a two minute minor leaving the Alder with a double power play but they were unable to convert. Richard Gelki, was taken from the ice bleeding heavily after being boarded but was able to resume play in the second period. Helsinki’s Melart was sent to the showers.
During the second period the Adler took too many penalties spending a large portion of the period short-handed. HIFK was able to take advantage of Mannheim’s mistakes converting three goals with a man-advantage and one goal with a two man-advantage.
In the last period the Adler played with more discipline and attempted to find their way back into the game. HIFK played with the confidence of a team with a large lead but were not as over bearing as in the second period. There were multiple chances on both sides but Endras and Ortio were able to prevent any further goals. The game ended with a final score of 0:4 for the team from Helsinki.
The next night the Adler were matched up against another team from Helsinki, Jokerit. The Adler did not want to remain scoreless on Saturday like they did on Friday. Trainer Harold Kreis was unable to play the injured Ken Magowan, who will return Monday to training or Ronny Arendt, who had a light knee injury. The former Jung Adlers, Dominik Bittner and Mirko Hoefflin had their team debut for the Adler. Bittner was solid on the defense while Hoefflin showed his qualities on the offense. In the second period Hoefflin had the assist on the game tying goal from Mauer. In penalties Lehoux and Mauer scored while Brueckmann held.
Jokerit started the game in high tempo leaving the Adler to react and play defense. At the end of the first period the Adler were able to free themselves up and create scoring chances of their own. Bruekmann was in goal and just as Endrs had the day before he played a strong game. In the first ten minutes when Jokerit had all of the pressure on goal to include a double power play, Brueckmann kept his cage clean.
In the second period the Adler started to find their way into the game and from minute to minute were able to build on their game. Scoring chances were slim but they were able to hold Jokerit out of the Adler defensive zone. In the 34 minute Jokerit’s Ruutu sank a penalty but the Adler remained in the game. In the 39 minute the Adler scored their first goal of the new season on a pass from Hoefflin to Mauer tying the score at one apiece.
The last period had multiple chances from both teams but both goalies held. There were no further goals during the overtime. In penalties Brueckmann was able to hold both shots on goal for Mannheim while Lehoux and Mauer scored. The game ended with a final score of 2:1 for the Adler.

Champions Hockey League
Eishockey Förderverein

© Die Adler Mannheim Eishockey Spielbetriebs GmbH & Co. KG | Datenschutzhinweise